Keep the Windmill Garden blooming, buzzing and inspiring.
In a remarkable first year, the Windmill Garden was so lush and diverse that a rich ecosystem quickly developed, making the garden a living learning center and bringing together Brookhaven folks and the surrounding community through educational events and volunteer opportunities. More than 50 volunteers helped out in the garden. Dozens attended events, staying out late for Moth Night, learning citizen science at the Monarch Tagging, and more.
We are living our mission to
- Inspire teaching and learning,
- Conserve and protect natural resources, and
- Connect with nature and each other – maybe even you!
Our Phase II goal is $5000.
Our garden is a work in progress.
With your help we can achieve these goals:
- Add, expand, and replace plants, seeds, bulbs
- Keep the garden healthy with mulch and needed materials, e.g., seed-starters,
- Plant shrubs for windbreaks and wildlife shelter
- Install a water feature
- Purchase educational supplies and interpretive signage
Teaching and learning
Educational programming is in full swing! We can broaden our impact with
- Interpretive signs that outline the benefits of drought-tolerant native plants and pollinators;
- Virtual mapping developed with Brookhaven’s GIS program to ID the plants; and
- Supplies such as charts, posters and hands-on kits and games that make teaching in a non-electric location more effective.
This plot of campus is now a thriving micro-ecosystem, and more can happen! With your support we will
- Sustain the Windmill Garden through consistent maintenance, including mulch, new plants, bulbs and seeds, and appropriate watering;
- Plant shrubs, small trees or vines on the perimeter for wildlife habitat and windbreaks for plants and butterflies; and
- Install a water feature for wildlife. Bugs need water too!
The Windmill Garden invites everyone to enjoy the wonders of nature. A few ways we do it:
- Gardening for Edible Natives
- Poetry Month in the Garden
- Monarch Tagging and Citizen Science
- Scouting projects, and more
Our Phase II Team
We are Brookhaven College students, employees, alumni and community members committed to growing a beautiful learning garden.